St. Mark's Anglican ChurchMemories: The First Fifty Years
The Parish in a Parish Church
The building fund was set up at the very start in 1949 to start work towards building a Church. Fund raising events such as a Strawberry Social and pledge schemes were a constant part of the Parish from 1949 to 1952. Because they had no facilities or furniture, the parishioners brought everything to the social events, mainly held at Carleton Heights School, St. Matthew’s Church, or the Arboretum of the Central Experimental Farm. Bert Rump worked at the Farm so he had the inside track in arranging for the use of the Farm. By 1952, the Parish had collected some money and pledges. It was time to think "church."
Robert Shannon left in 1952 and was replaced by the closest priest, Rev. A.E.O. Anderson of St Peter’s on Merivale. AEO, as Arthur Edward Oswald Anderson was known, was given the task by the Bishop to take St. Mark’s into its own building. He had very fixed views on church designs and drove the Parish committees towards the virtually wall-less "A" frame type of construction. The Wardens of the time, Laurie Baker and Bert Rump, had considerable reservations about the design. By 1953, a compromise was reached and active planning could be done towards construction of a church. The basic plan called for a first stage church with a seating capacity of 200 and a parish hall in the basement. The Building Committee consisted of J.H. Morgan, Chair; L.A. Gillespie, Secretary; and E.H. Grand, J.H. Chapman, and E. Godin as members.
There were financial problems as one could expect. It was a heavy undertaking for the Parish and for the growing community of young families. At a Special Vestry in October 1952, AEO reported that the Parish Executive Committee had met with the Diocesan Extension Fund on October 6 and they had obtained a definite promise of a loan of $30,000 to help start the building in the spring of 1953. St. Mark’s Building Fund was then reported at $6,000. AEO also said that he "was in touch with a man who would be interested in lending us another $15,000. We can see our way to go forward in faith." You will realize the humour in AEO’s remarks as the man who would loan the money was R.B. Faith.
Robert B. Faith was a resident of Ottawa who provided the initial funding for the Church. A Special Vestry on June 20, 1954 authorized the Mission to borrow either $15,000 or $20,000 if required. The motion was moved by Jack Reid and seconded by C. Basset, and was carried unanimously. The Executive Committee of the Diocese approved on June 10, 1954 "St. Mark’s Church, Carleton Heights, taking a first mortgage of $20,000 at 6% interest on the new Church." The Faith mortgage was a five year mortgage dated January 1, 1955 and subject to renewal. Payments were $500 plus interest payable on January 1 and July 1.
The second mortgage of $40,000 at ½ of 1% came from the Church Extension Commission. It was a good gesture on the part of the Commission to accept the second mortgage of double the amount of the first mortgage, however they were not exactly lenders without a genuine interest in the new Church. The repayment schedule was installments of $1,000 each, plus interest, payable on January 2nd and July 2nd until 1975 when the remainder became due and payable. The payment start date was January 2, 1957.
The Faith and Diocese mortgages combined with the money raised by the Parish was enough to build the Church, but it was not enough to put in very many furnishings.
There is a story behind the $40,000 from the Church Extension Commission and it involved Robert Shannon who prepared the initial spade work in April 1951 in an article in the Diocesan Times under his by-line. It lays the case for some sort of central diocesan funding agency to help the new urban churches. The first part of the article dealt with other areas in Ottawa south. The last part dealt with St. Mark’s.
We now come to discuss the most urgent problem
of all, the providing of a church building
for the new congregation of St. Mark’s, Carleton
Heights. This area, being south of the Experimental
Farm is almost two miles from the nearest street
car line and hence has become a community
That piece by Robert Shannon was good staff work and
a good staff paper. Whether it was his idea or not is not
as important as having the
concept put forward to lay the foundation.
That concept of having central funding
for at least part of the money would have an important
impact on the Diocese and St. Mark’s in particular.
It wasn’t all easy and Laurie Baker, the People’s
Warden of that time, frequently referred to it
years later as "having faith." He also added at times
"It was a miracle."
Archdeacon Hepburn turning the first sod
with AEO on the right
The sod turning took place on June 23, 1954 by Archdeacon C.G.
Hepburn, as shown on the left in the
picture. From left to right, the others
are Bert Rump (Rector’s Warden), Laurie Baker (People’s
Warden), John Morgan (Chair of Building Committee),
Allan Rogers, Frank Richens (Chair of the Finance
Committee), and A.E.O. Anderson. Hidden from view
in this picture were Norm Moody, Chairman of the Church
Extension Commission and V.S. McClenaghan, Chancellor
of the Diocese.
Church in 1955
A 1955 photo shows the completed Church. Notice the front of the Church. There is no link. There is a flat roofed porch or portico in front of the Church. Notice as well there is no office or choir room. On the inside of the Church there were no pews. The parishioners sat on stacking chairs.
Allan Rogers at Christmas Eve service 1954
note: Altar rail
Though there was still much to be done on the building, the
floors were still rough concrete, and there was no furniture, the eager
congregation celebrated their first service in the Church on
Christmas Eve, 1954, with Allan Rogers. The unfinished Sanctuary
was decorated with small
pine trees shimmering with foil icicles.
An Altar was constructed from packing cases and
many brought their own chairs. There were 186
at the Christmas Eve service with 124 communicants.
The donated reed organ was used, although the organist
is not recorded. It is fondly remembered in 1999 as
a joyous occasion. AEO took the Christmas Day service
the next day at 11:15 A.M. with 103 in attendance and
"Church Harmonium - You will be interested to know that the Harmonium which served us so well in the Church for our Christmas Services was the gift of Mrs. Dowler's (Audrey Dowler) parents, Mr. and Mrs. F.H. Roy of Buckingham, P.Q. The harmonium belonged to Mrs. Dowler’s grandparents originally it was felt that they would be very happy to have the organ in an Anglican Church."
A "harmonium" is another name for a reed organ. Bud Magee
remembers picking it up from the Perth area rather than Buckingham..
The organ was manufactured by Thomas Organ Co. of Woodstock, Ontario.
"Dedication of St. Marks - As you
know, February 24th, St. Matthias Day, is
to be the day of Dedication. That is a day to remember
from now on. Many Churches keep their Feast of Dedication
(when they know its date) as well as their Patronal
Festival (St. Mark's Day, April 25th). We are inviting
the Clergy of the Diocese, the Executive Committee
of the Diocese and the Extension Committee, all of which
have helped us in one way or another to build this Church
of which we are justly proud.
The Church was dedicated on February 24, 1955 by Bishop Ernie Reed. It was a packed Church with 285 in attendance. Along with Bishop Reed, the Vestry Book records AEO Anderson, Douglas Christie, Stephen Kenward, Eric Osborne, Bruce Black, E.A. Johnston, J.C. Anderson, D.W. Thomson, Ralph Smith, and Allan Rogers. Many distinguished guests, including Mayor Charlotte Whitton, attended. Life was not all money and work. A note in the March 31, 1955 Newsletter by Allan Rogers gives the following information:
"The following day, Monday April 18th, Circle 2 is holding a square dance in the Parish Hall. Tickets are available. The evening costs about $1.25 per couple, which is very reasonable indeed. Added to this is the fact that Mr. Jack Zoubie is to be the Master of Ceremonies. These are two good bids for the occasion’s popularity and success. Incidentally, I understand the Bishop’s position in the matter of dancing in the Parish Hall is that an informal party among ourselves is acceptable. The other extreme, renting the hall for dances, appeals neither to him nor to us."
Well how about that! In cash strapped years later not only would
it be rented for dances, but it was rented
out as well to pure drinking parties for
sports organizations. Incidentally, Jack Zoubie
was one of the pioneer square dance teachers in the
early 50s in Ottawa. He helped found the movement which
is still going today. He was well respected and well
loved by the square dancers of the area and his loss was
felt by everyone. He called in latter years many happy
square dances for the Marksmen. Jack was well ahead of his
time in what we would call ecumenism today. He was
very sad when the Interdenominational Church failed
and was replaced by separate churches.
The reed organ in 1999
"The organ for our new Church
was not forgotten by the Building Committee
when plans were being laid for building, about a
year ago. Gradually it became evident that the $1,500.00
to $2,500.00 needed for a suitable electronic organ
were not going to be available after the Building itself
was provided. Hence several members of the Committee and
one parishioner, rather diffidently suggested that an
electronic organ might be built, using as a basis a
reed organ given to St. Mark’s some years ago. As always,
the amount of work needed to effect the conversion was
underestimated and the task has taken much longer than anticipated.
Such is usually the case with amateur organ builders.
"Editor’s Note: Thank you, Mr. Chapman, Mr. Perry, and others who have given of your particular ability in this field. Wives. Love your husbands and admire their endeavours."
The plans for the conversion were taken from articles in Electronics
for Communications by Markus &
Zeluff (no year shown on the Archives copy) and
Radio-Craft for April 1941 by W.K. Allan. Essentially,
a bolt was placed with the tip close to each reed
so that when the reed vibrated, contact was made with
the screw tip, which in turn was used to control the controlling
grid of a tube. Each reed was constructed to vibrate
at a specific frequency to produce the required note.
For the power amplifier stage, John used a 20 watt Heathkit
amplifier. He hand wound the coil to control the swell pedal
through a 6H6 tube amplifier.
And one more item from that Bulletin about the Strawberry Festival which had been a fund raising part of St. Mark’s since the beginning. It gives a flavour of the work that was going on to make the Church the centre of the community.
"Again this year, Mr. Doug.
Baker is the general Convenor of the Strawberry
Festival. It will be held June 25th, from 3:00 to
6:00 p.m. in the Parish Hall and on the Church grounds.
Tickets are only 35 cents and children who sell 10 get a
free ticket. A mammoth bake sale will be the attraction, and
donations are solicited from each household. The members
of the Guild are asked for four items for the bake table.
They plan on bread, buns, pies, cakes, cookies, salads of all
sorts, cold meats, etc. Norma Grand, the food Convener, is willing
to have anyone 'phone her (3-2624) for specific information
or donations. The girls hope, of course, for a very large bake
sale since they are not having candy or bazaar materials (drygoods).
A good bake sale sounds like an excellent accompaniment to a
Font in 1999
The parishioners, interested clergy, and churches in the Diocese
wasted no time in helping to furnish the
new building. Les McCrum could lay his hands on
a big truck. There was no end of volunteers and the
general principal was "You call; We haul." Bud Magee recalls
many trips in the back of the truck (try that in 1999) with
Fred Shipman, Ewart Forde, Jack Reid, Godfrey (Benny)
Goodman, and others.
Sheila Vaudrey presented the following on Easter Day, April 2, 1997.
"In the mid 1870s, just after the Confederation
of Canada, most of Ontario suffered a brief economic
depression until the early 1890s. Immediately
after, when things started to boom again, many new churches
were built to meet the growing population's demands. This
was when Ottawa was a fraction of its current size and
still an Archdeaconry within the Diocese of Ontario, rather
than a diocese unto itself.
As well as gifts from other Churches, the talented members
of St. Mark’s made many items themselves in 1955. These were labours
of love and were accepted as such: an
altar was made by John Morgan out of leftover
cedar; a Clergy pew was made by John Morgan and John Perry;
a coat rack was made by John Perry and Bert Rump out of leftover
cedar; and a Processional Cross was made by John Perry.
John Perry made the aluminum tube lights that hung from the ceiling.
Kitchen cupboards were built by Emile Godin and Warren Watkinson
in the basement corner kitchen. All in all, a very busy year.
But what a glorious time in the life of the Parish!
Under the heading of the "good old days", the eight pages printed
both sides of four sheets Parish Newsletter
was mailed out on September 9, 1955 to all parishioners
for 2 cents. It was also just folded in three
and stapled in one corner. That would cost 46 cents in
1999 and would require an envelope, or 92 cents
without an envelope.
Allan Rogers returned to the Parish of Bearbrook in October 1955
and was replaced by George Foy who came
to the Parish in November 1955 from the Diocese
of Moosonee. In addition to St. Mark’s, George was
assigned the historic Parish of St. John the Divine in the
Merivale-Slack Rd area.
The first wedding in the Church was on June 2, 1956. Joan Kempsey
and Don Wilson were the bride and groom.
Joan is the daughter of Emil and Elsie Kempsey
as well the first president of the Anglican Young Peoples’
Association or AYPA.
A note in the weekly leaflet for January 27, 1957 (Epiphany III)
gave more positive news about the health
of the Parish:
"St. Mark's Seventh Annua1 Vestry Meeting is now history. The meeting held Friday Evening in the Church Hall, was well attended (55 parishioners signed the register) and will be remembered as the occasion on which St. Mark’s Parish shed the shackles of infancy to become full-grown by the unanimous decision of the vestry to become self-supporting effective January 1st, 1957."
The decision to be self-supporting allowed George Foy, finally,
to be inducted as Rector on February 10,
Front of Rectory in 1961
John Chapman, as People’s Warden, was heavily involved and kept
good notes. He polled the Council to
see whether a split level or two storey was preferred.
There were strong views both ways, but in the end
Eleanor Foy carried the day. Because the Rectory would
be used for meetings, and because she thought the meetings
would go late, she did not want any design that would not
give her some privacy once she had retired. So a two storey
house was built. That was good thinking. The design has
proven very practical. In another bit of good thinking,
John Chapman reasoned that the planned garage would be much more
useful as a study/meeting room rather than a garage. With
the Church and Hall in full use, the only space available was
the Rectory. It is still a well used part of the Rectory today.
Parking lot built in rear in 1958.
Entrance off Fisher south of Church
In 1958 over 500 loads of fill were donated to the Church from the construction of Baseline Rd. Bert Rump always had his ear to the ground and when he heard about the widening and the fill, he took action. The fill was levelled by volunteers (that’s us) and became the first parking lot extending from the rear of the Church towards the Rectory. Every once in a while a piece of this fills comes to the surface to remind us of Bert Rump and his tremendous work for the Church in the early days. Bert didn’t drive and he smoked cigars. So whenever someone picked him up to take him somewhere, they had to be prepared for heavy cigar smoke which lingered in the car for days.
Treeless view of St. Mark's from Fisher and Normandy in 1957.
Photo by Edna Harwood.
(her Mom is working in the garden)
The Financial Statement for the year ending December 31, 1958
showed Open as $788.50, Current as $10,016.03, and total income of $17,209.34.
Expenses were $16,893.29.
Leaflet cover graphic showing Sanctuary
with Casavant pipe box on the left
The modified reed organ could not keep up with the demands of the organists and choir. It was just too limited. Someone heard about a two manual electro-pneumatic organ from Casavant Frères in Ste. Hyacinthe which was used as a demonstrator at Canadian National Exhibition in Toronto. George Foy, the Organist (no agreement on who it was today), John Chapman, and John Kirby drove to the factory to look at the instrument. It was a bargain at $10,000. They arranged for purchase and it was installed in 1962. The console was installed on the north side of the chancel and the pipes on the south side. Electrical wires connected the two so that when a key was pressed, a signal was sent to a solenoid in the pipe box, the pipe was opened, and the note sounded. It worked and was a great step forward over the reed organ. The new organ was dedicated Sunday, September 9, 1962 to the memory of those who gave their lives in two World Wars. The old reed organ finally ended up in parishioner Jenny Morphew’s home, where it still makes music in 1999.
In 1963 St John the Divine was split from St. Mark’s to allow
George Foy more time with St. Mark’s. With
four services a day, the Basement Hall being used every
night of the week by the Scouts, Guides, Cubs, and
Brownies, the Church had reached it capacity.
Written by Lorne Bowerman with help from
Dorothy Brigley, Bud Magee, Marion Chapman, John Morgan and many others
The Parish in a Parish Church and New Hall
George Foy hit the nail on the head in his comments for the May 1965 Crusade for Expansion. He said that the “need for more and better accommodation had passed the stage of being urgent - it is now a vital necessity.” He also added that if anyone thought he was overstating the case, they could come to the hall for a week and observe the “crowded, nay, almost impossible conditions with which both the young and old must contend.” With five nights of scouts, guides, brownies, and cubs in the week, there was no room left for anything else. St. Rita’s was a temporary solution for the Church School, but it would not last.
Regardless of whether to split or not split the Parish, the planning showed that a hall to seat 400 would be needed. The hall would be designed so that services could be held in it until a church extension could be built or a new Parish split from St. Mark’s. That gives the reasoning for the shape of the hall with a chancel like structure at the West end. As a side note, fire regulations must have changed because in 1999 the hall capacity is listed as 218, so it would not have solved the problem.
Plans for a Parish Hall on the south side of the Church, a link between the Church and the hall (integrating the portico), a choir room on the north-west corner of the Church and an office on the south-west corner of the Church were drawn up and approved by two Vestries in 1965. The plans were drawn by Balharrie, Helmer, and Associates of Ottawa dated November 1965. Jim Strutt who designed the Church was associated with Balharrie then. The general theme of the Church was carried into the hall with laminated beams of BC fir and a roof of cedar. The walls were brick. Provision was made for an entrance from the parking lot and another from Fisher Avenue. A new kitchen, a ladies’ parlour, two washrooms, a maintenance room, and a boiler room were incorporated into the plans. Some additions dated August 1966 were made to the plans. The sod turning took place on May 15, 1966 with George Foy doing the honours with our famous shovel from Bert Rump.
George Foy turning sod for the Hall
A Parish Newsletter from the Wardens in June 1966 gives some of the details of the huge amount of work that was being done and the difficulties of meeting deadlines:
“It is our intention to issue a Newsletter periodically to keep
you informed on the progress of your Church Extension.
The hall was blessed on November 6, 1966 by Bishop Reed.
The final cost of the hall and additions to the Church was $95,000. The difference between the Taplen Construction bid and the final cost represented architect fees and changes. Because some money was left from a previously established building fund, only $88,500 (or $87,712 is another value quoted) was borrowed. The problem with the actual amount is that the money was advanced in small amounts as needed, and the paper trail is very confusing. The funds came from the Bank of Montreal on a short term basis as the Diocese planned to take over the mortgage.
A number of things happened which put the Parish into a very tight financial position and these things were something that no one at that time could foresee. The Diocese experienced a decrease in funds and could not loan any money. The Parish was left with a demand loan at the prime rate which rose from 7-1/4% to 11% over a few years. Church attendance decreased dramatically in the late 60s and with it Church income. As well the birth control pill came into widespread use in the mid-sixties so there were no kids for the parents to take to Sunday School. One more factor must not be forgotten in regard to the Parish size. George Foy firmly believed that every Anglican in the Parish area should be on the Parish List, regardless of whether or not they wished to be, and regardless of whether they attended church. The bottom line was that numbers on the Parish List did not equate to bodies in the pews every Sunday.
There was no question that George Foy needed help. A retired clergy C.J. Ryley came to the parish in 1964, however, failing health prevented him from continuing. In January 1965, William Townson came as a Curate. In 1967, Allan Box replaced him after William left for Montreal. In September 1968 the Parish reached the proverbial rock and a hard place position and the Curate position was deleted. It was a heart wrenching time.
In 1967 for the first time since the Parish became self-supporting, apportionment could not be paid in full. Only $4,151 of the $8,300 assessed could be paid. 1968 and 1969 were the worst years with $1,500 of $9,475 and $1,000 of $8,429, respectively, being paid. Starting in 1970 we began to pay more and more until 1975 when the full amount was paid again, and by 1981, all of the amounts not paid from 1967 to 1974 were picked up and paid in full.
Despite two visitations in 1967 and 1969, attendance and finances remained the number one problem at St. Mark’s. Everything was cut that could be cut. The only flexible part of the budget was apportionment and it was used to keep St. Mark’s afloat as noted in the paragraph above.
The 1969 detailed instructions for the Marksmen who hosted the coffee hour on the first and third Sundays are just as relative thirty years later. They made 60 cups of coffee using 1 pound of coffee (making sure they started with cold water). One box of plain tea biscuits, one box of chocolate chip cookies, milk/cream, and sugar were also on the Sunday menu. The only thing that would need changing would be the instructions to “make one cup of tea for Mrs. Foy only, serve in Hall.” That would have sort of cut-off the many tea-only drinkers we have today.
In 1969 the first of St. Mark’s Art Shows was held. It was put on by the Ladies’ Guild and featured local artists. The Guild took a percentage of the sale. It has been a very popular event for both the Guild and the artists. In 1999 there were 41 artists who had their work for sale.
On November 1, 1970 the Church Hall was named Bishop Reed Hall in memory of a good friend of George Foy and the Parish.
In 1970, Open was $1290, Envelope was $34,558, and total revenue was $38,928.
Sunday School attendance fell from a high of 200 in 1968 to 70 in 1971.
George Foy left the Parish in 1971 after having been the Rector for 15 years and 5 months. He went through some glorious highs in the life of the Parish and some dismal lows. David Bolton came to the Parish from Campbell’s Bay.
At that time the Parish owed $7,000 to R.B. Faith, $20,000 to the Church Extension Commission, $85,000 to the Bank of Montreal, and $13,000 on the Rectory to the Toronto-Dominion Bank.
Robert Faith, the holder of the first mortgage on the Church, died on April 19, 1968. Payments were suspended during probate of the will. In 1971, Robert’s widow, Ina Thomasina Faith, requested the amount be paid in full with all the interest owing. At that time the principal was $7,000. The Church Extension Corporation, at St. Mark’s request, offered a loan to St. Mark’s of $5,000 at 3%. Audrey Clark, a parishioner, loaned the remaining $2,000 at 3% as well. It is worth noting that the new $5,000 from the Diocese was secured by a promissory note signed by the Rector, David Bolton, and the two Wardens, Cliff Davis and Al Smith. There was obviously some understanding of our situation with the demand loan at the bank.
In 1970 five new pews were made by a woodworker in Hull, and given as memorials to the Church. The basic design used was the pews from the Seaway. When more pews were donated as memorials, and no one could be found to do the work reasonably, Lorne Bowerman started to make them. In total he made 13 pews and refinished the pew frontals. In 1999 there are 11 pews each in the outside rows, and 9 on the inside giving a total congregational seating of 40 pews, and with a capacity of 5 persons per pew comfortably, the total congregation capacity is 200. There are 8 pews in the choir, each with a capacity of 5 persons so the maximum choir size is 40. If the clergy, server, sidespersons, and organist are added, the maximum Church capacity is 250.
Connie Bowerman became Envelope Secretary in 1973 and still serves in that capacity in 1999.
The 1974 Parish List contained the names of 314 Parishioners.
The March 31, 1974 bulletin gives the order of service of 8:00 AM Holy Communion, 9:15 AM Holy Eucharist, and 11:00 AM Mattins. The Bulletin also announced that “Mens Lib has broken out in full at St. Mark’s. The Marksmen have been asked to set up a table at the Church Bazaar in the fall. So men, what can you make that we can sell? Bread boards, candle holders, keycases, tongs, and any other type of gadgetry. If you knit, sew, or smoch that’s alright too.” “Smoch” must have been have been a typo for “smock”, but if we were talking men’s lib, maybe it really was “smooch.”
St Mark’s celebrated its 25th Silver Anniversary in 1974 with special souvenir silver coffee spoons and a Special Anniversary Agape Service on Friday, October 11, 1974 with the Bishop giving the address. There was a dance band and an open bar in the Hall after the service. That is quite a step from the 1955 admonishment on dancing.
1975 was a turnaround year for the Parish. Starting with a zero bank balance and $3,000 in bills at the start of the year, all budget obligations were met, the church and hall were converted to natural gas, the apportionment was paid in full, and at the end of the year there were no outstanding bills to be paid.
In 1975 as well, Sally Eaton and Norma Mellon started editing and publishing The Lion’s Mark. It was a regular news provider for St. Mark’s for many years.
By the mid 1970s, land costs had risen considerably so the Parish decided to sell some land and pay off most of the Hall Loan. Lot 92 on Fisher Avenue, part of Lot 110 on Normandy next to the Rectory, and part of Lot 232 next to the Church were sold for a total of $78,000. From the proceeds, a parking lot was built and $47,000 was devoted to the repayment of the loans.
Lot plan of our 5 lots
As well the Diocese in 1976 loaned the Parish enough to pay off the bank loan and consolidated all our debts into one loan of $50,000 at 3% interest, a far cry from the 6% to 12% paid on the demand loan at the Bank. The Parish finances were under control again. The Ladies continued to work away at paying off the remaining part of the Hall Loan as all Parish income was needed to keep the Parish going.
In 1977 David Bolton accepted a call to Grace Church-on-the-Hill in Toronto. His last service with us was December 14, 1977.
David Bolton was replaced by the Rev. David Stalter from St. Margaret's Vanier. David Stalter’s appointment was effective April 1, 1978. He held his first service and was inducted on April 2, 1978.
In 1979 severe organ problems started to develop and coupled with the musical limitations of the instrument prompted the establishment of a new Organ Committee. Approval was given by Vestry to purchase an electronic organ for a total cost of $42,500. As with the previous organ, all the funds were to be raised outside the regular Church budget. The Choir raised the initial $10,000. In 1979 and 1980 the Organ Committee raised another $14,500 and $18,000 was borrowed from a friend of the Parish in 1980 at a rate 13%, an extremely good rate at a time when the demand loan rate was 21%. Because there was no money for building additions, Lorne Bowerman headed the volunteers who made the alterations. The only cost was materials. Attics were constructed on both sides of the halls outside the Sanctuary to provide room for the speakers. Holes running the length of the Sanctuary wall were cut in both sides of the Sanctuary for the speaker enclosure sound outlets, and speaker cloth was mounted on frames with cedar strip decorations. Leftover cedar from the speaker holes and from the kitchen in the basement was used to fill in the hole left when the Casavant box was removed. The organ was dedicated on November 23, 1980.
Sanctuary showing speaker enclosures halfway up and the length of the wall
St. Mark’s lost one of its most distinguished parishioners and former warden in 1979 with the death of John Herbert Chapman. Under the category of “It’s a small world,” SPAR Aerospace Limited initiated The John H. Chapman Memorial Prize for distinguished scholarship in Engineering and on October 6, 1988, it was won by a member of St. Mark’s, Bob Bowerman of Carleton University, the son of proud parents Connie & Lorne Bowerman.
In 1979 a 30th Anniversary Souvenir Plate was sold to mark the occasion. The 50th Anniversary plates are based on this design.
In 1980 the Rev. Harry Bowkett came to the Parish as the Assistant. His untimely death in September 1981, left a considerable void in the Parish.
In 1980 the open collection was $5,648.97and the envelope was $54,749.80. The total givings including directed income was $123,394.33, of which $35, 572.07 was for the organ.
1980 was the time of the energy crunch and it did not pass St. Mark’s by. A letter from the Treasurer Lorne Bowerman in the Advent 1980 mailing lists some of the things that had been done:
“St. Mark's has been active in the energy saving field, motivated
by the twin desires of trying to save national resources and money.
We have been fairly successful as we have kept the fuel bill constant
for five years, but we still have a long way to go in some areas.
Because of continuing health problems of David Stalter, a number of Priests helped the Parish in 1981 and 1982. Among those were Cyril Earle, Roger Briggs, and Allan Rogers. In May 1982, Bishop Edwin Lackey appointed the Rev Harold Bridges as the Assistant to help the Rector. Hal’s first service was May 2, 1982. Financial assistance was provided by the Bishop as well.
The Rectory mortgage was paid in full in 1981 by a final donation of $1000 from the Ladies' Guild. Continued work by the Organ Committee and the Choir enabled the Organ loan to be retired in 1982.
The Hall loan was retired in 1982, again by the consistent support and dedication of the Ladies’ Guild. St Mark's for the first time since 1953 was debt free.
In 1983 the Parish undertook to assume the entire salary cost of Hal Bridges, a step which represented a considerable jump in the budget as David’s salary had to be paid as well. In October 1983, George Cooper was appointed as Assistant to the Rector to replace Hal Bridges, who had accepted the post of Rector of Kars-Osgoode.
On November 20, 1983 the Church was consecrated by the Rt. Rev. Edwin Lackey, Bishop of Ottawa in a worship celebration that included great clouds of smoke as the mortgage was burnt by Lorne Bowerman, the man who kept saying for ten years the slogan "Debt free by "83."
Lorne Bowerman burns the mortgage
while Wardens Tex Holt (on left)
and George McGill watch.
Jenny Morphew Photo
David Stalter, who had fought a courageous battle against cancer, died on November 29, 1983. The Requiem Eucharist was held on December 2nd and was attended by well over 500 people. David was the first Rector to die in office at St. Mark’s.
On March 4, 1984 Gordon Worden came to St. Mark’s as the Incumbent. He was inducted on St. Mark’s Day April 25, 1984.
In 1984 the Rectory needed major work including replacement of rotting window sills and furnace replacement. A new gas furnace was installed. The needed $10,000 was borrowed from the Bank at 12%. This loan was paid off in 1986.
In 1984 one of our Parishioners, George Wilcox was named Nepean’s Citizen of the Year. George was the tireless worker who co-founded in 1980 the Meals on Wheels program, a volunteer service that brings food to seniors who can’t prepare their own meals.
In 1985 there were 320 households associated with St. Mark's, 67 students in the Church School and a Parish revenue of $135,000. The Hall roof was replaced with lo-slope shingles in June 1985 for a total cost of $6,350.
In 1985 both Wardens were changed, as had been the case in 1980 and 1983. There had to be a better system for these important posts. Marian Chapman, the then Rector’s Warden, suggested that St. Mark’s institute a four year cycle for wardens. This would have an incoming warden serve for one year as the deputy, two years as the warden, and then one year as the deputy again. The people’s and rector’s warden would be staggered so that only one warden would change each year. Because Marian had suggested it, she made the honourable decision that she would step aside after only one year. We commend the system to any church. The list of Wardens and Treasurers at the back of this section shows the rotation she started. By the way, Marian is the widow of John Chapman, a Warden in 1956, 1957 and 1958. Their son, John, is shown on the List as a Warden in 1988 and 1989. They are the first family to have given this remarkable service to St. Mark’s.
In 1987 The Rev. Greg Bloomquist and his family moved into the Parish. Greg, who came to Ottawa to teach at the University of St. Paul, accepted Gordon Worden's offer to become Honorary Assistant at St. Mark's. He added much to the depth and scope of St. Mark’s services.
In 1987 as well St. Mark’s became computerized with a “dazzling” IBM XT (8088) compatible with 1 meg of RAM, a clock speed of 8MHz, a hard disk of 20 MB, two 5-1/4" floppy drives, a 14" monochrome monitor, and a Toshiba 321 dot matrix printer. The cost was $6,000 for the computer, software, and desk, and was financed by a personal loan. The computer and monitor were replaced in 1997 by a second hand 286 with a SVGA colour monitor and 40 MB hard disk for $100. That is quite a dramatic increase in technology matched only by the dramatic decrease in cost.
The needs of our aging buildings now became apparent, and in 1987 Vestry approved the re-roofing of the Church and the upgrading of the windows for a cost of $52,000. The windows were replaced for improved energy conservation. St. Mark's was informed that our building no longer met safety requirements, and planning began to rectify the problems. There was a three year time limit.
In 1989 the Church furnaces had to be replaced - a bigger job than expected since asbestos had been used as insulation. Len Ward, the Property Chair, did yeoman service in arranging for the complicated installation which changed the Church from hot water to forced hot air heating. As well, rather that one large furnace, three smaller furnaces designed for houses were installed as they were cheaper, easier to maintain, and did not require complicated inspections. One furnace heated the left side of the Church, one the right, and the third did the basement. The total cost was $44,856. Financing would be through an increase of the Bank demand loan for Shingles and Panes by $32,000, at the current loan rate of 15.25%. The Shingles and Pane loan stood at $20,000 at that point. John Chapman suggested that personal loans were one method of reducing the staggering interest load.
The furnace and shingles and panes loans were consolidated in 1989 with no interest personal loans from Parish members. That was a remarkable feat! On January 1, 1990 we owed $29,000 on these loans and during the year reduced them to $24,000.
In an unusual fund raising venture, Judy Darling and Dave Roberts organized the first of the Talent Auctions on April 27, 1990. The most amazing part of the venture was the tremendous talent that came forth to be auctioned off to the highest bidder. It subsequently became a Parish event looked forward to with pleasure.
Did the shingles, panes and the new furnaces work? The Treasurer Dave Stewart in his 1991 report to Vestry stated:
As an aside, it is interesting to note that our 1991 natural gas heating costs for the Church and Hall were 42% lower than 1988 despite the increase in energy costs and the GST. The new furnaces certainly seem to be doing their job efficiently.”
In 1990 Gordon Worden accepted the Bishop's appointment to St. James', Carleton Place.
On September 2, 1990, David Lethbridge was appointed Rector. He was inducted on November 21, 1990.
During 1990, John Kirby, the Chair of the Aesthetics Committee, got a lead on a brass lectern and an altar that was stored in a barn for St. Thomas’, Stittsville. Apparently, they came from one of the Seaway churches and it is remembered as St. David’s Church in Wales, Ontario, which was drowned by the Seaway. Both items were cleaned and refurbished and are in daily use in 1999. By the way, the other two Anglican Churches that were part of the flooding to make way for the Seaway were Christ Church, Moulinette and St. George's, Mille Roche. Gordon Worden’s good memory supplied those details.
During 1991, planning was begun to bring St. Mark's up to provincial safety requirements. The main problems were the fireproofing and ease of exiting from the basement. The wooden stairs and cedar walls of the 50s did not meet the standards of the 1990s. Part of the basement could be blocked off to restrict the number of occupants and that solution was examined. In the end it was decided to retain the capacity of the basement by having the stairs and Choir Room alcove walls, leading from the basement at the west end, covered with fire code thickness gypsum wallboard, and by replacing the stairs that emptied into the back of the Church with a new hallway and stairs leading from the south basement wall, with a door directly to the outside from a vestibule.
There was not much opposition to the fire code changes. It was something that had to be done to bring us up to safety regulations. We just could not envision putting at risk our young children and youths who were the prime users of the lower level.
However, nothing is simple in life. A vocal group had been active for a few years to change the Chancel and move the altar forward and place the choir at the back facing the congregation rather than facing each other part way back to the Chancel in the Anglican tradition. A number of low-cost experiments were tried with the altar, choir stalls, and chairs moved around the area. Each experiment met with cheers from some and absolute horror from others. It was very clear to many that if left on its own, the re-design of the Chancel would not get the necessary approval. The supporters managed to tie the changes to the fire code changes and keep it tied. Another change that could be put in place with the fire code changes would be to take the end of the Link and convert it to a chapel. There was little opposition to this change and it gave a place to put the old cedar altar and its many fine frontals that had been made through the years. On December 31, 1991 the Committee doing the changes contracted with Temprano and Associates to prepare two costed proposals based on the needed fire code changes and Chancel Experiment number 2. The Chancel changes also included a new sacristy created in the south alcove outside the office.
In March 1 1992 Vestry approved plans designed by Temprano and Associates. It was not without its pain. Those opposed put a number of amendments forward to only do the fire code changes, but each motion was defeated. By the time the main motion was voted for most of those opposed had left the meeting and the motion passed 44 to 7. At the start there were 81 at the meeting. For those against, it was a bitter defeat. Some ceased to give money to the Church, but instead directed their givings to mission. It still surfaces in 1999.
Ground was broken by Judy Darling on June 21, 1992 using the famous Bert Rump shovel. Work went quickly and was well done. In November 1992 Archbishop Edwin Lackey rededicated St. Mark the Evangelist, including our new Peace Chapel.
In 1994 our Honorary Assistant the Rev. Dr. Greg Bloomquist announced his decision to work towards building an Anglican Community in Barrhaven, through our sister Church, St John the Divine on Slack Rd. Fortunately, the Rev. Dr. Frank Peake moved into our area and became the new Honorary Assistant. Frank is a historian and retired university professor and brought his many historical insights to the Parish. Frank authored the Centennial History of the Diocese in 1997 in his book.
In 1994 the Financial Stewardship Action Team (FAST) racked their brains to think of ways to raise funds. From their efforts came the Renovation Raffle, FAST Times newsletter, Debt Board, Fifth Sunday Fivers, Electronic Fund Transfer EFT (pre-authorized deposits), Canadian Tire Coupon Box, Talent Auction, and food vouchers. All of their suggestions proved to be winners. There were 30 in the EFT part when the first automated deposits were made in January 1995. The food voucher program, also called Dollar for Dollar, is a method where vouchers are purchased from National Grocers and Loblaws and used as cash in the stores. The Church buys them at a discount. It returns about 3% which in 1998 was about $2,000. Kudos to Glen McGill, Bobbi Cain, David Lethbridge, Mike Perkin, Dave Roberts, and Bob Temple for good work.
In 1996 Lorne Bowerman put St. Mark's on the Internet using Freenet as the Internet Service Provider. St. Mark's was the second Anglican Church in the Diocese to have its own web page. St. Matthias had been put up a few months earlier by a teenage member. The Vestry Report notes that it was through trial and error, and with the help of many, that it happened. There was no on-line help, books had not been written yet, and there were no guidelines available on the server.
David Lethbridge established a Scholar-in Residence position in 1996 with Greg Bloomquist filling the position. The Parish was very pleased to have Greg associated with us again.
In November 1996, David Lethbridge retired. He was replaced by Roger Steinke on January 1, 1997. Roger was inducted as Incumbent on January 26, 1997.
The winter of 1996/97 will be remembered as a time of leaking roofs. Pails-full came in through the Link ceiling and the two sides of the Church. As could be expected it was driving the Property Chair, Dave Whitman, crazy. At the April Parish Council meeting it was decided that something had to be done. The Batten-Sears consulting firm was hired to examine the roofs and make recommendations. Core samples were taken over the Hall, Link, Church sides, office, and choir room. Much to everyone’s surprise, they recommended as first priority that the Hall roof be replaced. Their reasoning was that the fibreboard underneath was saturated and it would not be long before it leaked. There was no indication of that inside the Hall and the Hall had been re-shingled in June 1985, just ten years earlier. Except for the Office and main peaked Church roofs, everything else leaked like a sieve.
One complication that was not expected was that low slope shingles were no longer being manufactured and the only effective alternative was the expensive modified bitumen membrane. It would be used on the Hall as well as to replace the tar and gravel roofs on the Link and choir room. Batten-Sears strongly recommended the modified bitumen membrane method as well as installation of insulation on the roofs. They advised that the earliest start date would be the last of September for the roof covering as the contractors were busy on schools during the summer period. The money would be needed by about mid-October.
The Electoral Vestry in June 1997 authorized the hiring of the engineering consulting firm of Batten-Sears to outline specifications for tenders, call tenders, and supervise the work. The Vestry also set up the Funding team chaired by Lorne Bowerman with Bobbi Cain, Cynthia Greer, Georgia Roberts, Bill Slaughter, and Yvonne Temple-Vermeulen as members.
The Committee estimated that $75,000 was needed for the total job. They looked at borrowing money, but the only asset that could be mortgaged was the Rectory, it was mortgaged already for $110,000. Selling the Rectory would not help as most of the sale price would be needed to pay off the mortgages. As demonstrated with the Hall furnace, a good letter sent out from the Wardens would bring in about $15,000. It was too much for personal loans. It was hard to go into more debt.
Earlier in May, Lorne Bowerman examined the record of the givings (Connie was the Envelope Secretary) and looked at possible ways of raising funds through an every member financial campaign. In the end he suggested that rather than giving everyone the same amount, every parishioner would be given a suggested specific amount of either $100, $500, $1000, or $5000. No one would be given an amount less than $100. Lorne made the initial allocations and it showed that if the suggested amounts were all given, $131,100 would be received. One concern was that it would offend parishioners and they would leave the Parish. Although Lorne made the initial allocations, Connie Bowerman went over them and changed them if she thought they needed changing. The Fund Raising Committee had doubts, but it was worth a try. There were not many options available. Just in case it did not work, the Treasurer was asked to get a Line of Credit for $25,000 from the Bank.
A Special Vestry met on September 7th and approved the complete project and fund raising plan. The Wardens’ letter was sent the next day on September 8th. A letter from Lorne Bowerman with specific amounts was available for pickup on Sunday, September 14th. Those not picked up were delivered or mailed the next day. Visitors were organized and trained to collect the envelopes during the week of September 21st to September 28th. Every parishioner was asked to place his or her donation in an envelope, seal it, and give it to the visitor. The visitors did not have to talk specific amounts as they did not know who had been allocated what amount. Only Connie and Lorne knew the specifics and they would record all the donations and make the deposits using bank names only so that no one could find out who gave what amount.
The money started to be delivered to the Bowerman’s home or the Church as soon as the letters were delivered. Those who gave early all had the same request - no visit please. Lorne commented that a new way to raise funds would be to threaten everyone with a visitation and they would pay up to prevent it. They started making daily Bank deposits. By the time the official visitation was supposed to start, over $41,098 was donated. By the end of September, $78,698 had been raised. It was spectacular! Just to put it into prospective for future generations, the yearly budget was about $140,000, so over one-half of the amount was raised in two weeks. It was an ear-to-ear grinning time for the whole Parish.
Equally satisfying was the choice of Simluc as the Contractor. They did a first rate job on the project. They installed 4" of foam insulation on the Hall roof, held in place by a lattice work of two layers of 2"x4" and covered with pressure treated plywood. The entire roof received three layers of modified bitumen membrane, all glued together with hot asphalt. The Church side roofs, Link, and choir were covered with 2" foam insulation, fibreboard to make a slope, and then covered with three layers of modified bitumen membrane. The only problem area was in front of the windows. There was insufficient depth to allow for any drainage so ponding may occur. If the windows are ever changed, an extra 25 cm or so should be left at the bottom to permit sloping.
Lorne Bowerman repaired the Link and Choir Room ceilings for under $100.
If we had to do it all over again, we would have done the Office roof as well.
Two objected strongly to be given any amount, but contributed. Two asked to be removed from the Parish List. The hardest responses Parishioners had to write were not the cheques, but "I cannot at this time because..." Many times Lorne and Connie heard how they thought long and hard over the amount suggested and in the end concluded that St Mark's was an important part of their life, and they met or exceeded the amount suggested.
There were 275 on the Parish List at the end. Two had requested removal, and three others had moved without notifying the Parish. For the different amounts, the response were:
Note that a significant number gave more than the requested $100, which would indicate that a target of $150 or $200 might have been more of a stretch. There were 32 who indicated they were unable to give at that time (for very valid reasons as their notes and calls indicated) and 29 of the 275 would not respond with a yes, no, or maybe.
Although the campaign was closed on December 31, some donations still came in. However, the impetus was gone because the goal had long been passed. The total amount raised was $93,508.26. The total re-roofing cost was $72,947.73. The extra $20,560.53 was earmarked for the existing loans and was paid in 1998.
That type of campaign could only be done every twenty or so years, and the reason would have to be one with universal appeal such as the roof, the furnace, or to repair major structural damage.
Did the insulation work? For the first time, snow remained on the Hall roof all the next winter. The September 1997 to August 1998 natural gas usage was down to 12,056 m3 from the usual 17,000 m3 of the period from 1993 to 1997. The year was 14% warmer, but the actual decrease in gas usage was 30%. And by the way, the fibreboard under the centre south roof of the Hall was completely saturated, so the Consultant was dead-on.
In 1997 the first Alpha Course was run at St. Mark’s under the guidance of Judy Darling. There were 35 people and 8 leaders in the first course. Judy Darling, Roger Steinke, Mike Perkin and Gail Stone joined over 600 at a two day conference at the Cathedral to learn about running an Alpha Course. The course has as it motto, Make a Friend, Be a Friend, Bring a Friend to Jesus.
The year 1997 saw the first arrival of a new Parish Newsletter called St. Mark’s Matters. It evolved from the FAST Times. It aims to publish four times each year.
One of St. Mark's talented parishioners, Judy Darling, was elected Lay Secretary of the Synod in 1998. Judy also served as the Chair of the Diocesan Budget Consultation Management Committee, as a member of the Diocesan Executive Committee, the Synod Management Committee, Parish and Diocesan Services Committee, and the General Synod's Information Resources Committee.
As had been the custom for many years (no exact starting year found), Bobbi Cain produced a list of veterans associated with St. Mark’s for Remembrance Sunday in November 1998. The 1998 list is reproduced starting on page 66.
A suitable Biblical verse was chosen by the Anniversary Committee from Leviticus. Chris Dicks set this to music and it was used on many occasions in Anniversary celebrations. The music is included on page 68.
An e-mail from the Diocese of Ottawa February 19, 1999 prompted Lorne Bowerman to mount the first of the three Dot Kirby Memorial Bells in a temporary portable mount and ring it on March 1, 1999 at 1:00 PM. It made a joyful noise. It was the first time that the bell had been rung at St. Mark’s. The e-mail said in part:
On March 1, 1999, the "Ottawa Convention on the Prohibition of the Use, Stockpiling, Production and Transfer of Anti-Personnel Mines and on Their Destruction" becomes international law. We don't want this occasion to pass without people taking notice of what we have accomplished - and what we can accomplish when we join together to create a more just and peaceful world. For this reason, we are joining other organizations around the world and across Canada in making a "joyful noise" on March 1. At 1 pm, the carillon bells on Parliament Hill will be joined by city halls, churches, mosques, taxis, and individuals across the country.”
An advertising supplement to the Ottawa Citizen in March 1999 featured another one of the many contributions of St. Mark’s to the religious life in Eastern Ontario since 1989. Sandy Stinson, one of the organizers from the Parish, phoned the Citizen to check on a possible ad for the Choir Camp, but at $400, it was way beyond the capabilities of the Camp and the Choir. However, the Editor asked Sandy to forward her some information and she decided to feature the Camp. That was a stroke of luck and good management by Sandy. The story gives the details:
A Camp that Sing's
On Easter Day 1999, April 4, needlepoint bench covers were blessed in loving memory of Brian Roy Morphew and Ethel & Ernest Rooke. The needlepoint was done by Jackie Sorfleet and her sister Josie McCarthy. These were a matched pair for the ones dedicated on April 26, 1998 in loving memory of James Bowman Dick and Evan Hugh Andrew. Josie counted the stitches in one for interest and the answer was astounding: 116,800 in each of the four bench covers. It is beautiful work that will be admired for years to come. Much earlier, sometime in the 80s, a bench cover was made for the Bishop’s Chair by Jackie in memory of Madge Langley.
Sanctuary looking east
with interior lights at sunrise, June 22, 1999
In May 1999 Heather Rice resigned as organist to broaden her musical talents. No new organist had been hired at the time of writing. While the search was on, an old friend of the Parish, Don Marjerrison came back to help.
In March and May of 1999, Institutional Promotions of Canada (IPC) came to photograph the Parish as part of the 50th Anniversary events. It was the first time that it had been published in full colour, and in addition, it was the first time that the photographic recording had been twinned with digital technology so the viewing could be done at the same session. In what will be a well-remembered humourous incident, when the proof of the book was received from IPC, low and behold there was the picture of Alan Steinke in the Rector’s spot. It arrived on Alan’s 16th birthday so it was a present that he will remember. He was all for leaving it, but for future generations, the picture of his father was substituted.
A survey was done in April and May 1999 on what to do with the gift of the Dot Kirby bells. The June Vestry received the results and made the decision, based on the results, that a suitable tower would be erected only after the present debt of $70,000 had been retired and when sufficient funds had been raised to cover the full cost of the tower.
Written by Lorne Bowerman with help from
Wardens and Treasurers of St.Mark's
The Clergy of St. Mark's
One the of most rewarding discoveries of preparing this Souvenir Book was the tremendous contribution of our clergy to the growth and development of St. Mark’s. Each came with a different set of skills which seemed to be just what St. Mark’s needed at that time. We have been blessed.
In particular, it was a revelation to discover the skills of Robert Shannon in laying the foundation of Diocesan funding, and the driving force of A.E.O. Anderson to build a church. Both had been tasked by their respective Bishops to carry the extra burden of St. Mark’s in trying times. Both had full time Parishes to look after at the time. Both gave generously of their energy to complete their assigned tasks. In the past at St. Mark’s we have not talked enough about, nor given enough credit to, these two strong leaders. This Section is dedicated to both of them.
The Clergy are listed in order of association with St. Mark’s. All the information found or provided about the departed clergy is included as it will be more difficult to obtain in the future.
Ralph Willindon Smith
Arthur Edward Oswald Anderson
Robert Victor Allan Rogers
George and Eleanor were the first to occupy the Rectory when it
was completed. It was home also for their children, Aubrey and Lucy.
He served at St. Mark’s for 15 years from 1955 to 1971. It was a very
natural setting for George. As a veteran himself, he fitted like a hand
to a glove with the other veterans of the Parish. He is still very well
remembered and well loved in the Parish. He was a humble man who lived
and worked his faith.
William Dixon Townson
He left St. Mark’s in November 1966 for the Diocese of Montreal.
After retirement, he moved to St. Thomas in south-western
Thomas Allen Box
On November 15, 1968 he was appointed the Rector of Petawawa. He has served at many Churches in the Diocese and as Diocesan Administrator. He is currently the Incumbent of All Saints Westboro in Ottawa.
David Charles Bolton
David took his theological training at Trinity College
in Toronto and was ordained a deacon June 11, 1964. He was appointed
the Rector of Campbell’s Bay on February 1, 1966 and the
Rector of St. Mark’s May 1, 1971. His interest in liturgy led
to his appointment to head the Committee on Liturgy of the
He left St. Mark’s in 1977 for Grace Church-on-the-Hill in Toronto.
He served in the Diocese of Niagara until he retired in
December 1998. He moved to Vancouver Island after retirement.
David Kennedy Stalter
Henry Thomas Bowkett
Harold Eugene Bridges
Gordon Henry Worden
Lawrence Gregory Bloomquist
Courtenay David Lethbridge
David often used mouse puppets to illustrate his talks to the
children, and there are many children and adults who remember
the mice well.
Frank Alexander Peake
Roger Alan Steinke
Prior to coming to St. Mark’s, he served at St. Thomas’ Ottawa,
St. Mary the Virgin Blackburn Hamlet and St. Mary’s
Navan, St. Lawrence East, and Holy Trinity Pembroke.
He provided distinguished service as Archdeacon of Pembroke
from 1988 until his appointment as the Incumbent of St. Mark’s
on January 1, 1997.
He was appointed by the Bishop as Chaplain to the BAC in 1998.
Roger and Karen have two sons, Philip at Queen’s University in 1999, and Alan who lives at home.
Written by Lorne Bowerman with the help of
The Ministry of Music
The Organizations Sunday School; Women's, Men's & Youth Organizations
Appendices Anniversary Activities; 1951 Parish List; Veterans' List